Monday, October 25, 2010

Killer Pot Roast Sandwiches

It's rainy and gross today. And rainy and gross days make me want to use my crockpot. I love the way it makes the house smell delicious all day long. Of course, it also makes me hungry all day long, and that's not such a great thing!!! But diets be damned, it's gross outside and I'm making pot roast!!! Normally when I make pot roast, I use this really yummy Paula Deen recipe, but I didn't have a key ingredient, so I had to make do with what I had. You can certainly go the traditional roast route and serve it with mashed potatoes, veggies, etc. but I'm not. We're turning it into the most sinfully delicious sandwich!

Serves: 6
Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:

3 lb. chuck roast
1 onion, sliced
1 packet dry onion soup mix
4 beef boullion cubes, crushed
2 bay leaves
1/2 c. white wine (or red, I just have white on hand because that's my booze of choice!)

In a med skillet, heat 2 Tbs. olive oil on med. heat. Season roast with salt and pepper and brown on all sides. Transfer roast to crock pot. Cover with sliced onions, soup mix, crushed bouillon cubes, bay leaves, wine and enough water to cover. Cook on low 5-7 hours.

Okay, so that does it for the roast, but if you want the most delicious sandwich on earth, here's what you do. Slice another onion and toss it in a med. saucepan with 2 Tbs. of brown sugar. Cook over med. low heat until onions are super soft and sticky- about 10 minutes. Slice french bread, hoagie rolls, whatever your sandwich bread of choice may be (use a substantial bread, this is a hefty sandwich!!) Slice your roast and place several slices on the bread. Cover roast with caramelized onions and a slice of swiss cheese. Place under the broiler until cheese melts. Top with another slice of bread- preferably one that's slathered with mayonnaise- unless you hate mayonnaise) Use the liquid in the crock pot as an au jus, and honey, you've got a sandwich so good it will make you cry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment